Friday 23 October 2015

Ork Painboy of the Bad Moonz Clan [Completed]

Each and every W40K ork that I paint seems guaranteed to be a time sink. So it was with the Ork Painboy that I started working on three months ago. After hours and hours of trying to bring the many small details too life, I pronounce this latest addition to the Bad Moons clan finished. At least as finished as any miniature can be, considering none in my collection were given a protective anti-paint chip coat, which in turn leaves them open to paint modifications in the future. I guess that's a way to mollify myself with the thought that I can always come back to them when my skills improve.   

Games Workshop Ork Painboy [Completed]
Spin the doctor and he would move in a kaleidoscope of colours
Insane amount of details equaled many hours of painting put in
Colours are a mishmash of yellow-green, yellow, orange, red, red-violet, blue-green and neutral hues   

In a departure from the normal colour schemes expected of a Bad Moons Ork (or is it?), I went colour crazy on the Painboy. His colour scheme comprised a mishmash of yellow-green, yellow, orange, red, red-violet, blue-green and neutral hues. I was curious if such a variety of hues could work or would it just overwhelm the senses. Looking at the finished piece now I think it kinda does.  

Yellows of the Bad Moons Clan were limited to the bosspole and loin cloth
Temptation to splash blood everywhere on the Painboy's buzz-saw weapon was high ...  
... but in the end, only a dab of blood made it to a blade attached to the buzz-saw
This Ork Painboy has one of the most colourful schemes I have ever attempted

The Ork Painboy is actually part of a set with its other half being a Grot Orderly which I completed a year ago. Both complement each other colour scheme wise and are a welcome addition to my fledgling ork army. It will be a while before I return to painting orks though as I plan to move on to Chaos in my Games Workshop-related miniatures project. A break from green skin will do me good.

Games Workshop Ork Painboy and his Grot Orderly (front view)
Games Workshop Ork Painboy and his Grot Orderly (back view)

Perhaps it's fitting and ironic that my next Games Workshop miniature will likely be an ode to Nurgle seeing that this piece is dedicated to healing. More on that project in the coming weeks. Meanwhile the hazy conditions just won't go away. It's getting worse. A news report alleges that the carbon released from the Indonesian fires causing the haze have now exceeded the emissions from the entire US economy. Imagine that! In this day and age where war violence dominates global news, this environmental horror show seems to have largely escaped the attention of the rest of the world. I shudder to think the price Earth is going to pay for this tragedy that's slowly unfolding before us.

http://shireworks.blogspot.com/https://www.facebook.com/shire.works

21 comments:

  1. Wonderful painting as always FourEyedMonster. :)

    I am always in awe of your stuff. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are much too kind pulpcitizen. Thank you very much. :)

      Delete
  2. Stellar job. As you know, I love many parts of this model...but especially those orange pants!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Greg. I kinda like the orange pants the most too. It felt just right for this ork.

      Delete
  3. Love these fantastic colors!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good stuff man! He's come out really well =) LOOOOVE the metal bits, very Orky!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ace! ^_^
      To be honest I didn't think I did a good job on the metal bits but I am very glad that you like them.

      Delete
  5. Not surprised that they take so long, the attention to detail and blending is just stunning - worth every minute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Much appreciated Michael. Unfortunately, the trade off is at times overbearingly boring posts. I am truly grateful that most of my blog readers have been willing to tolerate this although I'm cracking my head so that I can post better stuff in the future.

      Delete
  6. I'm afraid you're right about environment; while humans keep behaving like orks, it's quite clear what we can expect.
    Regarding the mini... Wow! Just wow!! That experiment with colours turned out incredibly well. You certainly have to master colour theory to do such a bold creation and make it look so good. I believe you just went where no man has gone before! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah ... the good news is yesterday for the first time in more than a month I saw bright blue skies and a shining sun. It was such a wonderful sight.

      Thank you so much Suber. The colours don't work 100% but they don't suck 100% too and for that I am happy! ^_^

      Delete
  7. Lovely work! Got to love the painboy miniatures so full of character.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Simon. The sculpting is already very detailed and good. As you well know, this sometimes make the painting process much easier.

      Delete
  8. Amazingly good, Kuan. All the primary colors and all the secondary colors on one mini? Somehow you've made it work to perfection... from his orange drawers to the grape jelly delivery system. Superb.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am honoured Finch. Thank you. The colour wheel helped although I didn't exactly follow all the rules which is why I guess in places its a clash of colours. But I guess a Bad Moons Ork is too colour blind to see. :)

      Delete
  9. Stunning paintjob and I definitely can't see a reason why you should ever have to come back to this figure. It's just marvellous. The liquid effect on the syringe is top drawer, definitevely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Moiterei. Coming back to miniatures is an insecurity that I have from the very first miniature I painted. Very few projects in which I've completed, I felt happy enough with the final result. Just a quirk of mine I guess.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...